Tuesday, November 16, 2010

To The Sea (The West Saga)

"No, Wes. I'm serious. I had another dream and it's really starting to freak me out!"
Wes was astounded that a dream could impact me so much. But he didn't know what I had seen. Dreams, in my case, had a serious effect of my day-to-day life if they were vivid enough. And sometimes, I couldn't differentiate between real life and fantasy. It was like the Queen song said: "Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? Caught in a landslide no escape from reality...." Everything these days was freaking me out. I couldn't walk home from class without jumping at every little sound, thinking the hooded figures were out to get me, out to drag me back to wherever they wanted me to come back to.
I had called Wes finally after being freaked out for the past week to tell him about my dream. I hadn't gotten the courage to face him all week, using the lame excuses of homework and hanging out with people I'd been ignoring as reasons for why I couldn't see him. I told him the real reason why I'd been avoiding him, and now I didn't have the option of seeing him, since he'd gone home for the weekend.
"Tia this is serious! Go to a counselor, or a dream therapist or something! If your dreams are scaring you that much, there's something going on up there." As he said the last phrase I could imagine him tapping his temple with one finger.
I sighed. "Yeah, I know. But at the moment I'm kind of broke. And I don't want to bring my parents into this, they'll freak out worse than you."
"I don't care, Tia. This is your health we're talking about here. It could be affecting your sleep, or your-"
Wes was cut off by a loud screeching noise in the background. I pulled the phone away from my ear and flinched and the high pitched sound.
"What was that?" I asked, tentatively putting my ear back to the phone.
Wes didn't answer.
"Wes?" I asked again.
Still nothing. I could still hear sounds in the background, so I knew the call hadn't dropped, but I was confused as to why Wes wasn't listening to me. I waited a few more seconds for him to answer before speaking again.
"Wesley! What was that?"
"Huh? WHAT! Oh sorry hun!" I knew he wasn't talking to me.
"Wes..."
"Sorry Tia. My niece won't stop bothering me to play. She just screamed at the dog. Sorry you had to hear that."
"No, Wes. It's fine."
"I should go...."
I sighed. "Fine. Bye Wes."
"Tia.... I'm really sorry about this. We'll talk when I get back on Sunday."
"Fine. Bye."
I hung up, and couldn't help myself. The room in front of me blurred as tears filled my eyes. I knew Wes wasn't ignoring me on purpose, but I still couldn't help but feel like he wasn't making enough of an effort to comfort me. After all, I was his girlfriend. Stop it Tia. His life isn't all about you! I scolded myself. I knew I was being irrational and stupid. I knew I was jealous of his family, why though, I didn't know. Maybe it was because at this point in time, they were getting more of Wes than I was, or maybe it was just simply the fact they were the one thing in this world that I knew was more important to him than me. But still, there was nothing I could do until Sunday when he came back.

No comments:

Post a Comment