Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I'm Yours (West Saga)

Two days went by and I didn't hear from Wes. We still didn't sit by each other anymore in calculus but I made sure he saw me everyday. I wanted him to remember that night, and why he liked me so much instead of Lydia.
I saw her flirting with him all the time, but he never flirted back. He always seemed to have this vacant look in his eyes when she talked to him. It made me happy in a way, but worried that he wasn't okay every since I'd left him on his futon to think about what I'd said to him. I was worried I'd said I love you too quickly and that he was scared away. It was my deepest fear that I'd been worrying over since then.

Finally on the third day of his no-talking hiatus, I received a text from him telling me to meet in "our spot" the next day. I was relieved to hear from him, but so nervous to talk to him that it took me ten minutes to reply because my fingers shook so badly. I couldn't stop thinking of all the possible scenarios for our meeting for the entire day. I was distracted in class and I didn't sleep well that night.
The day of our meeting dawned as a typical, cold mid-october morning. There was frost forming on the windows in my room and I woke to a freezing cold room thanks to the same frosty window being open. I donned as many layers as I could as well as a pair of gloves. I didn't bring anything other than my phone, in case Wes decided to cancel on me. Positive thinking, Tia, I told myself.
I arrived at our meeting spot first, of course. I'd left my building way too early thanks to overexcited nerves and a desire to escape the cold. I don't know where my logic came from, thinking that if I got out of my cold dorm room and went outside I would be warm. The cold is messing with my head, I thought to myself frequently.
So I waited and checked my phone at least four times before I saw Wes walking my way. An bubble of nerves built up in my stomach and finally popped when he came and sat next to me.
"Hey. I'm glad you came." He said in the voice that I'd been missing for three days.
I swallowed. "You wanted to talk?"
"Yeah... About... you know, the other night."
I nodded and motioned for him to continue.
"Well, my first worry was if you were mad at me again, but I'm guessing you're not, since you came today."
"Wes, I can't be mad at you. You know that." I smiled.
He chuckled, then sobered quickly. "I was also going to say that.. Well maybe we should try being more than just friends. Maybe my feelings will, you know, sort themselves out that way."
I raised my eyebrow at him. "Are you trying to ask me out, Wes?"
He nodded so slightly that I almost missed it.
I laughed. "Well, you're going to have to do better than that to get me to say yes!!"
His mouth dropped open in shock. I guessed this was not the reaction he was expecting from me. "What? What am I supposed to do?"
"I don't want to give it away. Be creative, Wes. You're good at that. Use that big, imaginative brain of yours to come up with some cute way to ask me to be your girlfriend. I know you can do it."
"Fine." He sighed and dropped his shoulders dramatically.
There was a moment of silence, and then we both burst into laughter at his ridiculous posture. The feeling of awkwardness that had been hanging in the air faded away, and it felt more like the early days again.
I broke the laughter with my chattering teeth. Wes laughed again and suggested we go inside for a hot chocolate. I accepted, and he offered me his arm in mock seriousness. We both laughed for the third time that day and walked over to Java Hut, arm in arm.

No comments:

Post a Comment